Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

Plastic Trash Challenge: Week 2

approx. 91 items, 1 lb 4.3 oz (+ 3.7 oz)
Recyclable items: 9 (7 locally)

There are a few items this week that I am ashamed of.  I don't know why I had taken my To-Go Ware stainless steel food carrier out of my car the day we went to Ruby Tuesday's, but because of it I ended up with that horrible styrofoam box and cup.  I should have known better.  And I could have refused the to-go cup (at least I refused the lid and straw, but still...!)  
The other thing that was appalling to me was the amount of plastic that came with a recent order of school supplies.  As if the packaging of the individual items wasn't enough, Utrecht Art Supplies packed my order into a box that was far, far too big, and then filled it with all these Filled-Air bags.  I forgot to count the bags, but it added that 3.7 oz to my trash and you can see the size of the pile there on the right side of the picture.
Going into Week 2, I realized that deciding to use less plastic in my life was going to take a little longer than I expected because of having to use up my previous purchases.  Writing this from Week 3, I can say that with even more certainty.  Last night I cleaned and organized my pantry and one of my kitchen cupboards.  The pantry, especially, was remarkable as it contained a lot of plastic bags: trash bags that had fallen out of the box, all those grocery bags that I got when I forgot my reusable bags, produce/bulk bin bags department store bags, bread bags, cereal bags, miscellaneous bags that I kept because they "might come in handy someday".  I realized that I had a lifetime supply (or more!) of plastic bags and it was time to purge.  (Notice a theme in my blog lately?)  I ended up with 5 bags of bags that I will recycle at Kroger next time I head out.  I am not counting these in my Week 3 trash because I want to keep the focus on my average weekly output, but I will document them here. 

I wish I had taken a "before" picture, but here's my freshly organized pantry:
There's still quite a bit of plastic in there, but at least a lot of it gets reused.  For instance, I found that the plastic containers that dates come in at our co-op are great for storing my dehydrated foods since they are clear, have good lids and stack nicely.  

Anyway, that's it for show and tell.  I'm off to see how else I can utilize this cleansing energy before the day is though!














No comments:

Post a Comment