Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Day 8: The End is in Sight! Fruit Flies 2, Kai 0

I take back what I said about wanting to do some extra days.  I think 10 days will be just fine.
Yesterday someone gave me the great suggestion to eat sprouts when I start eating again, and I figured that if I start them right away, they would be ready just in time for me to eat them.  I started a batch last night, and have been rinsing them today.  I went to give them their final rinse for the night and discovered that the jar was full of fruit flies. Ugh!  I guess since I put the rest of the bananas that were on the counter into the dehydrator this afternoon, they had nothing left to eat, and so turned to the sprouts.  I just can't figure out how they got in there!

I have been feeling good today, though I felt myself turning inward somehow and decided against going to a church event this evening.  Instead, as torturous as it may sound, I sorted through my cookbooks and recipes and started to tackle the long awaited task of typing my recipe collection (a large folder of torn out newspaper and magazine pages, random scraps of paper with fading ink and the like) into the computer.  I have to say it was easier to handle than making pancakes for the girls this morning! (Having sent my Vita-Mix to be repaired, I was forced to make them with all-purpose flour instead of whole wheat, and I accidentally put a little too much oil in the pan for frying- wouldn't that have been a great way to break my fast, with sweet, greasy, white flour goodness! :D)

I have still been somewhat hivey the past days; although they haven't been any worse than before, unfortunately it is looking like this cleanse will not be my miracle cure.

However, as I continued my research, I did find a website with an elimination diet that I am interested in trying. The RPAH Elimination Diet, also known as the FAILSAFE diet, helps determine salicylate, amine, glutamate, and additive sensitivities in individuals.  The FAILSAFE (Free of Additives, Low in Salicylates, Amines and Flavour Enhancers) was developed by allergists at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Australia in the 1980's, and apparently is not well known outside of Australia.  It's amazing that I've just come across it now, after researching chronic urticaria for so many years already. I'm pretty sure I can already rule out the additives, since I avoid artificial colors and preservatives, etc., but I think it may be a good idea to go through the diet and see about the other three.   As much as I would like to try it right away, I think I will ease myself back into eating as directed, and then start clearing my cupboards of the foods that I will not be able to eat while doing the FAILSAFE experiment.

Other than that, I have no other significant updates... two days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment