Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes

I wanted to make pancakes this morning using some buckwheat flour I picked up yesterday. However, when I went online to find a good recipe for vegan buckwheat pancakes, I discovered that almost all the buckwheat pancake recipes included other flours and were a little more complicated than I felt like dealing with this morning. I decided to experiment and took and combined a few different recipes. I took a chance and used all buckwheat flour and ended up with these simple but tasty pancakes!

Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes

2 cups buckwheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 3/4 tsp salt
2 tbs agave syrup
2 cups non-dairy milk
1/2 cup fruit juice
2 tbs coconut oil + more for frying

Combine all dry ingredients, then mix in wet ingredients to make a relatively thick batter. Pour on a hot, oiled griddle (I use my reversible stovetop cast iron griddle). When the top is bubbly and starting to dry, flip and cook until done. Serve with organic grade B maple syrup (or your favorite pancake topping).


I think that the reason so many recipes call for the addition of other flours in buckwheat pancakes may be purely aesthetic; buckwheat flour does make for rather dark pancakes. The buckwheat has such a nice flavor- a welcome change from regular wheat. I found these pancakes filling, yet not too heavy, and my kids gobbled them up so fast (even Miss H, who normally isn't a huge fan of bread-y foods) that I didn't get a chance to get a very good picture! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment