Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Vegan Apple Muffins

I bought a bag of "juicing apples" a few weeks ago, but when I got them home I realized that they were too mealy for eating, let alone for juicing. I went on a hunt for non-applesauce recipes, and found a recipe for  caramel apple upside down cake. It was good, but not wonderful, and it wasn't very pretty, either, so the rest of the apples continued to sit in the fridge until the other day when I decided to make a little treat for the guys working on the fireplace. Muffins seemed like a good choice; quick and easy, plus they would give me a chance to use up some of those apples! I didn't get to sample the first batch since I was in the middle of a juice fast, but I think I really scored with the recipe I came up with. My kids scarfed down a couple, and I left the workmen the rest.  The next day, the workmen said that they were some of the best muffins they had ever had and that they could've used at least a dozen more. (I'm guessing that they either might have been exaggerating a bit, or maybe they just don't get too many fresh from the oven muffins.) In any case, they're a good breakfast option because they come together so quickly and they're not too sweet.



Vegan Apple Muffins

1 3/4 c flour*
1/4 c brown sugar**
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 tsp salt
1 cup non-dairy milk
1/3 c oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 c diced apples (approx. 1 large apple)
(1 c chopped walnuts would probably be a good addition)

Preheat oven to 375F. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Combine milk, oil and vanilla in a measuring cup, then stir into dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in the apples. Divide batter between 12 greased or lined muffin cups and bake for 20-22 minutes, until the tops spring back when tapped. Let cool slightly, and enjoy!

*I used a combination of mostly spelt flour with just a little unbleached all-purpose wheat flour and thought they turned out just lovely
**use 1/3 c for slightly sweeter muffins

1 comment:

  1. i can testify to how yummy they were! :) thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete