Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

World Water Day

Happy International World Water Day, my friends! Every time I turn on the water tap at home, I feel so blessed. I love water: drinking it, bathing, swimming, you name it. I do turn off the water while brushing my teeth and I reuse some of my grey water for watering plants, but I admit that it is an area of weakness as far as my conservation efforts go. Drinking water is something that many of us take for granted because it seems so abundant. Turn the tap and out it comes in a seemingly endless supply! In reality, however, only about 1% of the Earth's water is fresh water that we can actually use. Approximately 1 in 6 people worldwide do not have access to safe fresh water, and millions of women and children make numerous trips every day, walking an average of 10 miles each time, in order to collect water from distant and often polluted sources. Want another sobering fact? Over 4,000 children die every day from lack of clean drinking water.

You are probably aware that there are all sorts of great organizations and missions that develop wells in areas where people don't have access to clean water. But did you know that 1/3 of the wells built in the past 20 years are broken? I didn't!

I was pretty excited when I found out about The Adventure Project's campaign to raise $10,000 USD in one day (that would be today, by the way), not to build more wells, but to train and equip men and women in India to repair and maintain their region's water wells.  The $10,000 would allow well mechanics fix hundreds of wells for years to come and turn water back on for 300 people a month. If the goal is met, The Prem Rawat Foundation will match the donations, doubling the impact in India. 

Won't you consider a $20 donation to help bring clean water to those who so desperately need it? Simply click below, or go to www.TheAdventureProject.causevox.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment