Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Springtime rambling

I was surprised by this flower stalk I found
on my rhubarb yesterday!
I came to the conclusion on an especially warm and sunshine-y day a couple days ago that spring is my favorite time of year. Spring makes me want to get colorful, pull out my toys and play outside, sip on fresh juices and nibble on tender green salads. Did I mention sandals and, even better, bare feet, and oh, the anticipation of swimming weather!?
I love being surprised by all the little buds and shoots popping up everywhere, even though I've realized over the past few years that I don't have as green of a thumb as I thought I did. I seem to do best with plants that thrive on neglect, but it is fun seeing some of the perennials that I planted last year or the year before come up again. Maybe I would do better if I lived somewhere where I didn't have to wrestle with this rocky red clay soil and fight off the fiercely determined critters that want to sample my hard work...
The extent of my gardening this year. 
Of course the weather is often deceiving here: just as you get excited about wearing short sleeves and shorts, you might get hit with a foot of snow.

And then there is something slightly maddening about springtime as well: gorgeous weather like this is definitely not conducive to studying. On top of that, I tend to get a terrible case of itchy feet around this time of year and each time I get in the car I am tempted by the open road and thoughts of impromptu cross country road trips. It was a grueling weekend as far as homework goes, but luckily for me, spring break started today! And now, I am turning off the computer and going to do some much needed... spring cleaning.

Maybe I have been watching too many princess movies lately, but I have this strange urge to throw open the windows and sing out for some little animal helpers...



We finally watched Enchanted the other night, too, but this one makes me a little squeamish!



What is your favorite time of year? What is your favorite thing about spring? Do you get a travel bug like I do when the weather warms up?

2 comments:

  1. This afternoon I read poetry from "When We Were Very Young" to the boys while they dug in the dirt and hauled rocks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your farther ahead with your gardening than me. i haven't started much of anything yet. The kids started a few seeds just for fun, but i haven't started anything for the garden yet. Just finally got the husband to till it. :)

    ReplyDelete