Pages

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Dyed Macaroni Beads

This might sound silly, but long before I actually became a mom, I used to dream about doing fun preschool crafts with my kids. It's probably because I have such warm, cozy memories of doing stuff like this with my mom when I was little. For some reason, though, it seemed like whenever I mentioned this to people, they would roll their eyes and make some comment about macaroni necklaces. To this day I don't understand the negative reactions! I had such a good time making these colorful pasta bead necklaces with my girls the other day! Now, I'm not a big fan of consuming food dyes , but I think they are great for non-edible crafts like this. 

To make these pasta beads, we mixed about 15 drops of food coloring with 2 tsp. of white vinegar in a baggie, and then added 1/2 cup of pasta. We let the pasta soak up the dye for about 5 minutes, then spread the pasta out on paper towels to dry. (I actually stuck them in our dehydrator for a few minutes.) I found that turning the pasta over after a few minutes of drying helped prevent any sticking. 


This was a really great project for us, too, because lately I have been looking for good activities to keep Miss H occupied while Miss K and I start kindergarten (in just a few more weeks! I'm so excited!!)  Miss H loves lacing beads and sorting things, so after the girls strung a few necklaces, I hid the beads away and plan on putting them into the "busy box" rotation for her (thank God for short attention spans! out of sight, out of mind!). Another big hit has been the large, shallow Sterilte box that I filled with beans, a couple old kitchen utensils, and our Discovery Toys nesting cups. I spread an old sheet out on the floor under the box, which makes clean up a little easier. I also purchased this great shape and color sorter from Lauri Toys using some giftcards I earned from Swagbucks

Are there any crafts or preschool activities that you remember from your own childhood that you would like to revisit (...or any that you would not)? Leave a comment below! 




1 comment:

  1. This is great. My kids are almost 2 and 3 years old and I am always looking for fun activities for us. I can't believe I forgot about good old macaroni necklaces! We just made homemade playdough the other day- something I remember from my childhood :)

    ReplyDelete