Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tiny Choices Survey: Kai!

Tiny Choices Survey: Kai!
By tinychoices | February 12, 2010
kai.JPG
Vital statistics (name, age, location, link to website/blog)?
Kai Rikken, 30, SML, Virginia. I blog at http://thecatinthetree.blogspot.com
How do you reside (apartment or house, roommates)? Are your housing decisions dictated by choice or necessity? Please explain.
I live with my two young daughters and two dogs in a lake house that my grandparents built. It is a decision based on both necessity and choice, but I do love living here and keeping it all in the family.
How do you travel (transit, car, etc)?Are your travel decisions dictated by choice or necessity? Please explain.
Out here in rural Virginia I don’t really have a choice; I travel by car (at about 31 mpg). It takes at least 20 minutes to get anywhere by car, and so I combine errands as much as possible and usually only go out once or twice a week. My dream car is the Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI :)
Tell us about a Tiny Choice you’ve made in your life.
I’ve switched my house over to safer & healthier products and am helping others do the same!
What is the one environmental dilemma you personally struggle the most with?
I struggle with my living situation not being quite as green as I would like it to be. For instance, I’d like to be generating my own power and growing more of my own food.
What is one Tiny Choice you can make in that direction?
I just take it one step at a time, do what I can on a daily basis and try not to stress about what I can’t (yet) do. I reuse and recycle as much as I can, use environmentally friendly products, and most of all, teach my children about the impact we have on the earth.
What is the one environmental Tiny Choice you make that people question (in either a positive educational or a negative hassle way) you the most about?
I probably get the most comments about my food choices. I have been vegetarian since I was 10 and I buy mostly organic. Many of the people I interact with locally have more of an “all-American” diet, and so I get a lot of questions about what I eat and why.
What is the one environmental Tiny Choice you would like every single person to adopt?
Be alert! The world needs more lerts! Seriously, though, simply becoming more aware of your actions and their consequences is a huge step in the right direction.
Do you feel like you make sacrifices for environmentalism? Please explain.
If I do, they don’t really seem like sacrifices to me. I suppose I tend to take the path of greater resistance and wash my plastic baggies, cloth diaper my kids, etc. It might be easier and quicker to throw out disposables but I feel so guilty using a paper plate or coffee cup.
Are you generally: optimistic, pessimistic, neutral about environmentalism and the future?
I consider myself an optiMYSTIC. Humans in general tend to be selfish and careless, and we might have really messed things up on our planet, but the way I see it, it’s probably all part of something even bigger. Hopefully we’ll do better the next time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment