Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

More Decluttering and Revelations in Feng Shui


Ah, so real life has taken over and I have neglected my blog again. Ever since I was computer-less a couple months ago I have not been inclined to spend as much time on here as I did before. Instead, I have continued my battle against the clutter in my home, and am pleased to report that I have been making some great progress! 

The Feng Shui book that I mentioned a while back arrived and I was excited to try out some of the ideas. However, a couple chapters in, I realized that it was way too much to try to figure out how to 'feng shui' this house on my own, even with the step-by-step approach in that book, and decided to look into having a Feng Shui consultant come and help me out. Apparently there is only one consultant in the area, and after talking to her I discovered that I couldn't really afford it at the moment, but I did squeeze some information out of her that included a little about her training and background and the type of Feng Shui that she uses. I learned that, although classical Feng Shui can be very powerful, it originated in China in the days when it was possible to pick the very best location for a building according to one's personal astrology and the landscape. Of course, these days, when building a house, it would still be most beneficial to have a professional Feng Shui consultant work with the architect to create a harmonious design for the client. However, when working with a structure that is already in place, it is often simpler to use the "east meets west" Feng Shui that is taught at the Western School of Feng Shui. Back online I went, and found another book in PBS written by the founder of the Western School of Feng Shui, Terah Kathryn Collins. I found this book much easier to work with, as it is based on the Bagua map rather compass directions and astrology. If the astrology part of classical feng shui is too confusing for you (with the charts given in the first book I read, it seemed simple enough to find the harmonious colors and forms for one person, but when I tried to figure out what I was supposed to do to harmonize all three of the inhabitants of my house I got lost), the key points to remember are form, function, and beauty. Objects should be in good working order, useful as well as pleasing to the eye. The five elements also come into play, but above all, the décor of a room must be pleasing to its inhabitants. It is amazing how much of a difference you can create in a room's energy simply by moving stuff around a bit! Although some of the Feng Shui ideas I have read seem to border on the edge of superstition (such as closing toilet lids and even the sink drains when not in use), in practice I have found that this helps keep the focus and energy present, and mostly the concepts are rooted in practicality. For instance, leaky plumbing, especially in wealth and prosperity areas, is symbolic of your money draining away. Even "non-areas" of your home (cluttered closets and garages, for example) become indicators of the energy flow (or stagnation) in your home. Basically, once you immerse yourself in Feng Shui, you find that there is nowhere to hide! 


I decided to start by rearranging and energizing my Wealth & Prosperity areas. I was able to open up and beautify these areas quickly by removing any clutter, dusting and rearranging objects and adding symbols of prosperity. To my surprise, within about a week of doing this, I signed up several new customers into my business, and then, out of the blue, sold a sling from my Etsy shop that I had posted for months and months and had pretty much given up hope of ever selling. Nice! At that point I had a revelation and a flashback to grade school when I took a career aptitude test and my top career result had been interior design, and I am now seriously considering switching from the graphic design program to the interior design program at the Academy of Art, and then supplementing that with a Feng Shui program.

Here is an easy Feng Shui tip that you can implement in your own home.


Beautify your home's main entrance (even if you enter from the garage or laundry room) to help draw positive energy flow into your home. Make sure that the area has ample light, no objects such as hoses, old newspapers, dead plants, etc. block the flow of energy, and that the door can be opened a full 90 degrees. Place some fresh flowers in a vase and/or a beautiful picture that you will see immediately upon entering your home. 


Try it and let me know what results you get!


 

Recommended Reading:
The Western Guide to Feng Shui: Creating Balance, Harmony, and Prosperity in Your Environment (Feng Shui)
The Western Guide to Feng Shui: Room by Room



Western School of Feng Shui (lots of great infor here including a free Bagua map download, five element chart,  room balance analysis, Essential Feng Shui decluttering guidelines and more!)




 


 


 

2 comments:

  1. With this post, you've reminded me of my clutter, specifically in my sewing room. That area has been sort of a catch all for computer parts, as we don't have a lot of storage space in our house.

    Since I've moved into my new place last January, Feng Shui has not been a priority. One thing that stands out in my mind would be to anchor any point of your house that does not complete a full square, so say my house is shaped like an L, I would put some sort of statue, or even bury a crystal in the ground to complete the square. I can't remember all of the details for why it is necessary to do so, but it has stayed with me. Thank you for reminding me of the power of attraction that Feng Shui can implement.

    Namaste'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip, Sü! The reason for that is that when following the bagua map, some areas in an L or T or otherwise oddly shaped house will be "missing", and you would want to fill in and beautify those areas even though they do not lie in your house. Similarly, a good way to fill in missing areas inside your house is with mirrors and crystals.

    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete