Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Month of Raw Food

Has another month really passed by without me writing a single blog post?  I have been meaning to! I've just been having so much fun trying out new raw recipes that I haven't gotten to writing about them, although my friends on Facebook have seen the previews :)

Here are some of my favorite dishes this month!

Strawberry-Apple Muesli with Raisin Sauce
(adapted from Vibrant Living: A Live Foods Resource and Recipe Book)



I actually don't measure any of the ingredients for this recipe; I just eyeball the amounts.

Muesli:
1 c rolled oats
2 tbsp flax seeds
1 apple, cored and chopped
1/2 c strawberries, sliced

Sauce:
1/3 c raisins
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 ripe banana
1-2 tbsp hot water

Place oats and flax seeds in a bowl and top with water or fresh nut milk of your choice.  While the oats and seeds soak, hop the fruit and prepare the sauce.  Place raisins, banana, spices and water in a blender and blend until smooth.  (I usually let the raisins soften up a bit in the water while I chop the fruit).  Add chopped fruit to the oat mixture and top with the sauce.Yum!


Italian Veggie Medley (adapted from a recipe courtesy Amy Tuggle)




2 medium tomatoes
1 zucchini
1 stalk celery
1/2 large bell pepper (or any fresh spicy pepper if you prefer)
1 tbsp Italian spice blend (or a combination of fresh herbs, if you have them!)
1/3 c sunflower seeds
1/3 c sun dried tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste

Soak sunflower seeds and sun dried tomatoes in filtered water overnight.
Dice tomato, zucchini, celery and pepper and place in a medium bowl.  In a food processor, combine drained sunflower seeds, soaked tomato, and spices and pulse until fairly fine.  Combine with the diced veggies and add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. This mixture is fabulous over zucchini noodles or in lettuce wraps and sprinkled with nutritional yeast.


Save the Tuna Salad Nori Rolls (From Baby Greens: A Live-Food Approach for Children of All Ages.
Recipe by Chad Sarno, (c)2004, 2005 Michaela Lynn and Michael Chrisemer. All rights reserved.)

Yields 4 servings.




1 c almonds, soaked 10-12 hours
1 c sunflower seeds, soaked 10-12 hours
1 1/2 tbsp fresh dill, minced
1 tbs fresh oregano, minced
1 tsp fresh sage, minced
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp kelp granules
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/3 c celery, minced
1/4 c red onion, minced
1/3 c pickles, diced

Homogenize almonds and sunflower seeds. Add remaining ingredients, mixing thoroughly by hand.  Serve as is or wrapped in nori with assorted veggies.


Raw Kale Salad




1 bunch kale
1 large carrot, grated
1 avocado
a big handful of pine nuts
1 or 2 green onions, chopped
lemon juice, to taste
1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Wash kale and pat dry.  Remove tough stems.  Roll the kale up and slice thinly (or simply tear into bite size pieces).  Place kale in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice, and massage kale (ahh, to be a vegetable in a raw food kitchen); it will quickly start to wilt and become tender and oh so tasty.  (I don't think I will ever cook kale again after making this raw salad).  Add carrots, pine nuts, green onion and avocado and mix well. I served this salad on the Carrot Wrap recipe from Evie's Kitchen: Raising an Ecstatic Child
and topped it with sprouts.


I hope you saved room for dessert....!  It's strawberry picking time here in Virginia!
We made this Strawberry Shortcake (recipe from I Am Grateful: Recipes and Lifestyle of Cafe Gratitude) with some of the berries we picked the other day.

Can you believe this is only HALF the recipe!? (Something about the 9 cups of almond flour in the original recipe clued me in on the fact that I would be fine cutting it in half!) :)

Of course, I have continued to juice and make all sorts of smoothies, as well as these dishes. I can't wait for blueberry season because I've completely depleted my stash of frozen blueberries from last year!  Also, not to say that I don't still love a carrot-apple-ginger cocktail, but I am happy to report that I have a new favorite juice: just cucumber with an added a spoonful of sole (super saturated Himalayan salt solution). It's a nice change to the typically sweet juices I have been making, and as the weather continues to get warmer, it is so refreshing!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, yummmmmm! I think you have found your niche! Thank you so much for sharing recipes and tips and adding pictures to let us know that serving things in style is part of the art of cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! One suggestion - put something else first as that is the picture that will illustrate the whole post. I tried the muesli and it is delicious, but the picture is not as wonderful as soem of the others for the "catch the eye" effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! I appreciate the comments!

    Mari-Ann, "not-cooking", as the case may be ;)

    Abigail, did the grand finale approach not work for you? I figured I would put breakfast first. :)

    ReplyDelete